New Jersey enacted P.L. 2021 c.33 March 3, 2021, concerning the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, undesignated/non-binary, questioning, queer, intersex and HIV-positive residents of long-term care facilities. The statute requires that all New Jersey long-term care facilities designate and provide education to two employees, one representing management and one representing direct care staff. These employees will fulfill the required role of the designated representative who will serve as the facility point of contact and oversee the facility training.
The initial compliance date for designated representatives to be selected and complete their education was March 1, 2022. Long-term care facilities must have at least their two designated representatives in place at this time.
This course is now intended for organizations that are:
- replacing a designated representative who has left a long-term care organization,
- seeking to have additional designated representatives to supplement and be the backup to the original two designated representatives,
- not mandated to have a designated representative under the statute but would like to have a designated point person for their organization.
Instructor: Tim. R. Johnston, PhD, Senior Education Advisor, SAGE
Designated representatives –at least one from management and one from direct care –selected by the nursing facility, assisted living facility, dementia care home or other long term care facility, as well as by organizations not covered under the statutory mandate.
Duration: The total duration of this course is 210 minutes: On-Demand Course (120 minutes) and Live Online Event (90 minutes)
At the conclusion of this educational course, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the key requirements of New Jersey’s law (P.L. 2021. c.33) on LGBTQI+ older adults’ rights in long term care, including what is required of all communities
- Report an increased level of confidence in steps to create a more welcoming and supportive environment for LGBTQI+ residents
- Articulate the difference between common myths and facts related to aging with HIV
- Be more sensitive to the reasons why LGBTQI+ older adults many hide their identities, or fear accessing services.
Successful completion is defined as:
- participation in the self-paced, on-demand, 120-minute module
- a score of at least 80 percent on the course test
- participation in the 90-minute live online session following the on-demand portion
- a completed course evaluation.
New Jersey State Nurses Association Accreditation Statement
HRET is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the New Jersey State Nurses Association, an accredited provider by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Provisional Provider Number P-131-3/2022
This activity awards 3.5 nursing contact hours.
The planning committee, presenters, facility, authors and content reviewers have no conflicts of interests to disclose. Disclosure forms are required and reviewed for any issues. Speakers are required to present balanced and unbiased presentations. The presentation’s content has been reviewed and any bias has been eliminated.
Accreditation status does not imply endorsement by HRET, NJSNA, ANCC Commission on Accreditation of any commercial products displayed with this program.
Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Board Statement
This continuing education program is conducted by the Health Research and Educational Trust of New Jersey and is in compliance with N.J.A.C. 8:34-7.3 to provide licensed nursing home administrator (LNHA) and certified assisted living administrator (CALA) education credits accepted by the Nursing Home Administrators Licensing Board.
This education activity may only be used for continuing education credit and not to meet academic college credits.
This education activity has been approved for 3.5 LNHA/CALA credits.
DISCLOSURE INFORMATION: Full disclosure will be provided at the educational activity.
Information on how to claim your CEUs or Certificate of Completion will be provided at the end of the LIVE WEBINAR.